Wednesday 23 October 2013

The View From The Sky

Well, since I don’t have class this week, I get kinda bored. Fortunately, I have friends in high places.


And when I say friends in high places, I mean friends learning to fly at the airport.


It doesn’t get better. (Well, actually it does, but anyways)


Right after lunch I jumped on my bike and rode the fifteen minutes to the airport. I had no idea if I was going to go up, I wanted to, but I didn’t know who was flying when. Anyways, I arrived at the airport at around one o’clock and asked who was going up and if I could go with them.


There was one going up, and I could go with him.


At five.


Now I could have rode back to campus and hung out there for four hours, but that would have been sensible.


So I sat in the hangar for four hours doing nothing.


Well, not really.


My friends and I goofed off, and I helped clean a plane. (I have a job on campus cleaning toilets. I’ve now gone from toilets to planes. I’m moving up in the world!)


Finally, Five o’clock arrived. One of my friends lent me his headset, so my friend/pilot, his instructor and I loaded into the little 172 and taxied to the runway.


I was sitting in on a short landing/takeoff lesson. There was a pretty stiff crosswind, and I’ve never been in a plane that small. (Yes, I start my flying lessons in January, yes I will be in one of those.)


As you can imagine I was excited. We took off, did a few circuits, then the wind got too strong, so we stopped after half an hour.


It was short, but it was the coolest, funnest thing I’ve ever done.


I learnt some things,


Like the engine is really loud, so the headset is a must.


If you’re going flying, don’t forget your camera.


Flying in small planes is the coolest thing ever.


It’s true what they say. You have not seen a tree until you’ve seen its shadow from the sky.

Now I just have to wait until January… Man this is gonna kill me!

No comments:

Post a Comment