Wednesday 30 October 2013

Snow Joke

So we had had our first snowfall the other day… Snow joke!

Those of you who are in the loop know that Albertan winters are, well, cold and miserable. (And often quite snowy)

And I don’t have a car.

Although the campus here is quite small, I’m an aviation student. That means, when January rolls around, I have to start heading to the airport every morning…

I could car pool, but that would be lazy. So I’m going to bike every day. I hope.

So I biked that first day of snow to church. Well, you could say it was fun, but that would be an understatement. I spent most of my time trying to get my chain to work (the sprockets were full of ice and snow so the chain wouldn’t grab), and the other half sliding sideways. I could have gone slowly, but that would have been boring. And anyways, who wants to go slow? Now I’m trying to figure out the logistics of how to keep my bike running through a cold, snowy winter. (if you know some tricks, let me know…)

My snow day adventures don’t end there though… Of course, we decided that sledding would be a good idea.

It was.

Once we had compacted the snow down a bit, we were ripping down the hill like crazy! And all we had was some cardboard and garbage bags for sleds (who says we need to go and buy sleds?).

One of my friends brought his snowboard. So I tried it.

Having never snowboarded before, I took some hard falls.

BUT, I eventually made it down without falling! (Well, I fell once I came to a stop at the bottom, but that’s besides the point.)

SO, long story short, I’m loving this snow, and I can’t wait for winter to really start up. (I live on a small campus. The cold and snow isn’t as big of a nuisance…)

2 comments: