Thursday 12 June 2014

Flying, Car Shows, Races and Africa

So, last week (was it really last week?) I passed my flight test. In theory, that means I'm a licensed pilot, but in practice, I still need to finish off the paperwork. (I probably could have gotten it done a day or two after the test, but I'm lazy). I've started the next module of my flight training called IT&E (Initial Time & Experience). Basically, I do lots of cross-country flights and get introduced to class C airspace.

Yesterday I did my first flight since the flight test, and my first ever flight into class C airspace. (For those of you who don't know, Class C airspace is a busier airspace where the planes actually communicate with a control tower.) For this flight, I went to Springbank (A nice town a few miles west of Calgary). The Calgary class C airspace is the third busiest airspace in Canada, and Springbank airport is the ninth busiest airport. With all that information, you might think that I had a hard time, considering that I learnt to fly in the quiet airspace of central Alberta! but it was a piece of cake! Other than a minor incident involving the map telling me to use a radio frequency that wasn't right, that flight went great! My next flight (which was supposed to be today, but we're having some really ugly weather) will be again to Springbank, but solo this time!

The weekend after my flight test, Three Hills had a car show in town. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera, so I couldn't get any pictures. That Sunday though, we closed the airport and hosted drag races! That was pretty darn cool! I volunteered to help out in the pit, parking trailers and what have you, but that meant I got to be up-close and personal with the race cars! And boy were they loud! Again, I didn't have my camera, so I don't have any pictures. (Sorry)

My Africa trip this Christmas is going very slowly, there is so much to do and so little time! Right now my greatest concern is financial. God has blessed me with many people saying that they are praying for me, but precious few people have said that they will support me financially. Chad is an expensive country to travel to, tickets vary between 3000 and 3500$, and I still have to get food and have somewhere to live. Once everything is said and done, I'm looking at a cost of around 4000$ possibly more. Please, I need support if I am to go on this trip. If you want to know more, you can read my previous posts here and here, or you can comment this post, e-mail me, or send me a letter. Also, if you want me to send you a prayer letter for our church or small group or what have you, let me know! And thank-you in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment