Sunday 2 March 2014

Deutschland

At this time 365 days ago, I was at the airport about to go on what turned out to be one of the greatest adventures of my life.

I was off to spend 6 weeks in Germany on a student exchange. I had no idea what was coming, and I certainly had no way of knowing what that trip would do to me.

I had been studying German since grade 9, I was now in grade 12. I thought the language part would be a piece of cake… It wasn’t. I could only maintain really simple conversations and even then it was often touch and go as to how well I was understood and how well I understood.

It was humbling to say the least. I had to either improvise or speak english, and english wasn’t always any easier than German. As well, I felt bad when I spoke english because I was there for the German culture.

But I persevered. I had an awesome host-family, and some amazing friends who at least pretended to tolerate my incompetence.

Food was fantastic, though it kinda ruined food for me back here in Canada… 

I discovered that the world is a very small place; it only seems big for us here in America because we made it massive.

I made friends with people I couldn’t even really converse with, and I discovered the value of sign-language.

To everyone I met in Germany: Danke! Ich vermisse euch!

No comments:

Post a Comment