Sunday 15 December 2013

Joy

Today is the third Sunday of Advent, often called Gaudete Sunday. Many people will be lighting the third candle on their wreaths. For many this candle represents joy.

Where is the joy in this world?

A few of my friends have had to say goodbye to friends and family in the last few weeks, I can look at the news page and see pictures and headlines describing the terrible things happening around the world, and I can go to the city and visit the homeless, those who, sometimes through no fault of their own, cannot get a job or food. Almost all my friends (including myself) are very stressed about our exams.

Where is the joy in this world?

A dear friend of mine is getting married, as I write this, I can look out my window and watch the sunrise, I can go to the park and hear children laughing, playing. I can go to the websites of various organisations and see the work they’re doing to relieve the suffering in this world, I can pull out a CD and listen to absolutely beautiful music, I can talk to friends about their plans for when the go home next week and all the fun things they’re going to do.

Why should we be joyful?

2013 years ago (give or take), a child was born. 33 years later, He was crucified for crimes he did not commit while I murderer got out of prison scotch-free. Yet as a result, our relationship with the father is restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment