Monday 3 August 2020

On Seeing Friends and Risk

As I write this, I am in quarantine.

Don't worry, I'm fine. I spent last week in Idaho at the MAF headquarters in Nampa, doing safety and security training, and now that I'm back in Canada I have to quarantine for two weeks.

My trip was fun, and I learned a lot. But I don't really want to talk about that here, if you see me in person I'll tell you the stories.

Between classes I got to spend some time with the other students from my January orientation class (my last trip to Nampa). It was great to catch up and hear how they've been doing, and so encouraging to hear stories of how God has been working in their lives.
I also got to spend some time with the new program director for east DRC (where I will be serving). It was super encouraging talking to them, and learning more about serving in Congo. I also got to "meet" the two new Cessna Caravans that are headed to east DRC and that I will eventually be flying. I can't wait for that day!
David and I in one of the new Caravans
As a result of the training I did, I've been thinking alot about my responsibilities, both as a pilot and as a missionary; we spent a lot of time talking about risk annalysis and management. Throughout my career as a pilot, I've done quite a bit of risk management, but now, looking at the "type" of flying I will be doing, I have some new things to think about. 

We talked about John 15:13, "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends" (ESV) quite a bit. But of course that doesn't mean I should be cavalier about taking risks. It's a lot to think about, and one of the excercises we were given was to think about our own theology of risk, and think through what risks are part and parcel with obedience to God.

It's heavy stuff, and I don't have an easy answer. Honestly, I don't think I have an answer yet.

Sorry, no tortured metaphor this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment